2 lbs sour cream (go whichever way you want on this, my family does not do fat free dairy well)
1 bunch chopped green onion
chopped jalapeno (optional)
black beans (optional)
1 tsp ground cumin
3 decent sized chicken breast, cooked and chopped (thank you, food processor)
1-2 tsp minced garlic, or up to 2 cloves minced
8-14 flour tortillas (I feed an army here, so we go over the 1pkg)
1-2 cups shredded cheese
1-2 small can enchilada sauce
- Earlier in the day, I will chop up the green onion, jalapeno, and add it to the sour cream along with the cumin. That makes the flavors mesh so nicely and the sour cream is flavored by the time supper hits.
- While the meat browns with the garlic over a medium heat to the temp of 160 (remember, it goes in the oven again and you don’t want dried out chicken!!)
- You can dice or chop the chicken into large strips or smaller pieces depending on preference
- I dump most of the sour cream into a large mixing bowl, then add the chicken straight from my food processor.
- This is where you can add those soft black beans if you want.
Now, lightly grease a baking pan (we use a 9×13 at this point). Dump the enchilada sauce into the baking dish.
Place one flour tortilla in the dish, coat both sides with sauce, then spoon the chicken mixture in the middle of the tortilla. Roll it up and place it seam side down in the pan. Repeat for the number of tortillas you need to fit your pan. Cover with cheese, we like LOTS of cheese 😉
I drizzle more enchilada sauce over the whole thing.
Place enchiladas into a preheated 350* oven and bake for 30 minutes. We eat these with salsa and guacamole. Oh so yummy!!!