Studying history does not demand centuries to pass before considering it history. In just my life time, there have been major historic events that blazed their way into the history books. I can remember exactly what I was doing and where I was standing when the space shuttle Challenger blew up. I have visited the birthplace of several of our presidents, including Dwight D. Eisenhower. I will never forget where I was and who I was standing next to while I watched in horror as planes flew into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York marking a major life change for my family.
What have you studied during the modern era of history? Please share with us what you have learned!
The 20th Century
Please note: Call of the Wild uses the ‘D’ word often, this is a book for older children if you are ok with that language
- “Russian Revolution in Color”
- Very detailed history of the Bolshevik Revolution
- Excellent images from the day interspersed among reenactments
- Gives all the sides of the story
- Not for young children
- Images of blood splatter during execution
- “Man of Steel: Joseph Stalin”
- This is a very informative video, but details are graphic
- Images are not overly gruesome, images of death, and not for younger children
- “The Roaring Twenties”
- I do love the Crash Course guy! He is funny, keeps to the simple facts, and holds the attention of my boys!
- Hitler: The Wolf
- The audio for this video appears to be a translation from German, so the grammar is going to be a little off. This video is a great history of Adolf Hitler and how he rose to power.
- The Battle of Britain
- Great history of the British theatre and a history of Winston Churchill.
- Pearl Harbor
- History of the attack on Pearl Harbor. The beginning of the video highlights FDR and his political history. This all led to the US’s stand of neutrality until the fateful date, December 7, 1941.
- Battle of the Atlantic
- History of the rearmament of Germany and highlights the antics of the German navy during the war as it attacked ships in the Atlantic Ocean.
- The Mediterranean
- This is a very good video series on the WWII battles. This video gives a great history on Mussolini’s life.
- “The New Deal”
- Another Crash Course video.
- Double Headed Eagle.
- A fascinating look at Hitler’s speeches translated into English
- Video explains how the Nazi Party came to power after WWI
- World War II.
- Another Crash Course video, we do love these!
- Quick overview by History.com, “Roaring Twenties- Facts and Summary“.
The 21st Century