I have some bittersweet thanks today. I sit here at my computer very thankful to be alive and thankful that, for the moment, the house is sort of quiet with 40% of my children still asleep. But the bitter comes from the quiet after having a house full of guests. And because I love having people in my home, I dip into the blues in the aftermath of their leaving.
This is not all due to the military life style of always being away from family (though it also keeps me far from my loves ones). We were away from family for the 10 years we were doing higher education. I grew up in a close knit family. Sure the sisters fought and bickered. Hello, sisters! Even while feeling blue in a quiet house, there are many things to be thankful for today 🙂
I am thankful for:
- a husband who brought in pizza so I didn’t have to cook the night after taking my family to the airport
- for family that I love and miss. I recognize that there are many people who don’t have family they love or desire to be around. I know I am blessed and I thank God for the heritage He has given me.
|the whole clan|
- I am also very thankful for these wonderful children who made this large gathering so pleasant! My older kids helped with cleaning up after meals and they also helped to herd the younger children.
- I am so thankful that my daughter never got an infection from her nasty cut. My Mother’s Day ended with mom and me taking Bekah into the ER for 8 stitches after she caught some glass with her left foot. It was a rough one, for sure 😦 She has a very low pain threshold.
- I am thankful for a husband who takes time to make big decisions. I used to be very annoyed with this process of thinking things over for a few weeks before making a big purchase/move. But lately, his careful thought processes have done well for us.
- I am also so thankful for a God who walks every step of this life with us. For being our guide and loving Father through all the storms and trials of life.